CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My childhood home, revamped

Let me start by saying, I never should have gone! My mom works for a property management company. She was put in charge of flipping (sort of, no majors changes) one of the homes that her company owns. This house happens to be the house that I lived in as a child, and is about 5 or 6 houses down from our current house. My mom's office is also right across the street from our house, and she called me to say she was on her way to the old house to do a walkthrough of the progress, and asked me if I wanted to come along to see how the house is looking. How could I pass that up? I haven't been inside that house in nearly 13 years. Of all of my homes (and that's a LOT of homes) that is the only one that ever felt like "home." You know, "home is where the heart is." Other than there, I've never spent more than 2 years in a house. I spent 8 years in that home, and it was when my entire family was still "in tact," I guess you could say. I have so many wonderful memories in that house. So, we went in to take a look. I was instantly taking a trip down memory lane, and I decided to ask my mom when she thought they would be finished with the work. She told me it should be done in the next month and a half. Guess what that means? The house will be finished and ready to be rented out EXACTLY at the time our current lease will expire. Had she told me this project would take a few more months, the thought of moving in there would never have occurred to me, since I would have just brushed it off knowing it wasn't possible. Now that it's a possibility, I found myself actually sitting down making a list of pros and cons for moving and not moving. What did I find? The pros FAR outway the cons! Of course, my husband is totally NOT thrilled with the idea of moving, mainly because it's a pain in the ass. He also said he really likes the house that we are in. What he doesn't understand is that he isn't the one that has to deal with the logistics of this place. He isn't the one carrying laundry up 4 flights of stairs, or the one dealing with cleaning it's every nook and cranny. He also isn't the one that really has to suffer with cramming the play room/tv room/ and computer room all into one, in what is supposed to be our dining room - he's at work all day. Of course he loves this house, because what he uses it for is sleeping, eating, and playing on the computer. What would he care? My old house has a much better layout for the most part, and it's a lot more child friendly than this stair filled death trap we currently live in. There's also an extra room that could be turned completely into a play room for Emma, outside of our living space. There are cons though - I would have to give up my big kitchen, and we would have yard work that we don't have now. I'm willing to give that up. A major factor here is that I would LOVE to give my daughter the opportunity to live a short few years of her life in my childhood home. How often can a military family give that gift to their child?

I feel like this may be a foolish and impulsive thing to consider, but I think it might just happen. Dru said "I'll move, but I'll hold Emma while you move everything. I'm not dealing with moving again." As if he actually helped do ANYTHING last time. We had movers, and he didn't participate in packing or unpacking a SINGLE thing. That ass. Let me live my dream for my kid, gosh!





0 comments: