CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Okay, about that new job.

I posted a while back about getting a new job at Silverado. I got offered another job as a desk clerk, which I also mentioned. I did take that job after all. I knew it would pay more, but now that I got the job, I was told I'd be making MUCH more than the other job. $2.50 more an hour than Silverado, plus I use NO gas getting there. I'm THRILLED. So far I have had one training session and 2 regular shifts. I'll be working from 3-11p on Saturdays and Sundays, plus a few random evening shifts here and there from 6-11p whenever someone needs me to and when I can. I'm so happy about this job! It's an intimidating position to have because people come to me with questions that I have no idea how to answer, but I suppose those things come in time. My first request from a tenant was on my first shift alone. He came down and said he had dropped some expensive equipment down the trash chute by accident, and wanted me to get him in the trash room. My first thought was "do I even have a key to that?!" So I told him I could call the general manager to find out how to get in there, and he rolled his eyes and gave me an attitude about having to call her. So, I called the engineer on call instead. Turns out that was what I was supposed to do anyway. The engineer on call that day is the one that hates being called for anything, he's kind of a jerk sometimes. But, he came and helped this guy out. Yay for the end of that!

Right after that happened, a lady came to the door and knocked. I pointed at our entrance system box to gesture to her that she needed to use that to get in. She looked at it for a moment, got angry, and started pounding on the door. Great, I thought, a crazy lady wants in. I buzzed her in, and she poked her head in the door. She said "Why you no let people in when knock?!" (yes, just like that). I told her that the building is secure, and that's how we keep our tenants safe, and that it's my job to do what I did. She rolled her eyes, and said "all I want is soda! do you have a soda machine?" I told her yes we do, but it is for tenants only. are you a tenant here?" she said "only for people who live here?!" and then she started SCREAMING at me in some (what I believe to be) African language (sounded like clicking). She turned and left. Phew! What a day that was, and of course that all happened within 30 minutes of being left by myself for my first shift. That's all that really happened that weekend that I couldn't handle though. Sheesh, this job is crazy. I still love that I took the job though!

0 comments: